Drug Class: Gallstone dissolution agent
- Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) is a steroid bile acid approved for primary biliary cirrhosis, also widely used for the treatment of cholestatic liver diseases
- UDCA is reported to have “hepato-protective properties” and possesses multiple mechanisms of action.
- Helps in reducing gallstone volume, number, or both, without apparent dose dependence, a safe & effective alternative to surgery in selected patients with gallstones.
- Previously used for cholesterol gallstone dissolution, is currently considered the first choice therapy for many cholestatic syndromes.
- Demonstrates the beneficial effect on liver function in children after successful surgery for biliary atresia.
- Early UDCA therapy is beneficial for slowing down the progression of liver pathology.